Last week we featured the Shaker kitchen in our Celtic Tiger Crimes against Interiors poll and many of you who fancy a change of look have been in touch to see how you could reinvent your kitchen without spending a fortune because obviously not all of us can afford nor justify ripping out our cabinets and granite work tops.
But fear not, here are five ways you can reinvent your Shaker kitchen.
1. You can prime and paint your cabinets like the above kitchen and change the cabinet hardware with simple stainless steel fittings. This colour is fresh and bright and works very well with the black granite work top. Try Dulux Cityscape for a similar shade and avoid going too dark if you have a lot of overhead cabinets as it will close in the space.
image via www.thevintagehome.net
2. Take inspiration from one of the most famous movie kitchens of all time- the beautiful white kitchen from the Hamptons beach house in "Somethings Gotta Give". Just paint all your cabinets white, replace hardware with brushed stainless steel or matte black fittings and/or swap out solid upper cabinets with glass or mirrored panels to open up the space.
3. Create a country cottage look by inserting beadboard wallpaper (available from Homebase for around €14 a roll) into the middle panel of the door and painting the whole lot a different colour and changing the hardware.
4. You could remove some of your overhead cabinetry and fit some open shelving painted in a different colour like in this kitchen.
5. You could remove the doors on your overhead cabinetry, add some lightweight moulding around the edges and perhaps some corbels to create hutches like in this kitchen. You can pick up moulding and corbels at any hardware store.
image from www.theletteredcottage.net
So what do you think of these ideas? Have you reinvented your Shaker kitchen? Let us know how you did it in the comment box below.