We're crazy about reclaimed wood upcyled furniture here at House and Home but sometimes it's quite hard to find something really special that doesn't cost the earth...Well, we found this fantastic sideboard makeover at www.karinaklarin.blogspot.com and had to share it with you. This was created using two Besta sideboards, €90 from Ikea which have been covered with salvaged wood-inspired wallpaper called Scrapwood Paper, €199 a roll from www.studioditte.com. So if you're looking for a truly unique statement piece for your living room and don't want the hassle or expense of getting a piece custom-made, this could be for you.
What you will need:
Stanley knife, steel ruler/wallpaper cutting guide, wallpaper paste, easy-surface primer, wallpaper brush (all available at www.homebase.ie or your local hardware store)
- After ensuring your sideboard is clean and dust-free, apply a coat of Easy Surface Primer and allow to dry for a couple of hours. This will provide a matt surface that for the wallpaper to stick to
- Measure the area you're covering ie.te top of the sideboard; then the door etc.
- Cut the paper to size using a stanley knife and steel ruler
- Apply wallpaper paste to the paper (following instructions from the manufacturer) and begin by laying the paper on the surface you're covering making sure to line it up with the edges
- Gently smooth out the paper using the brush ensuring not to trap any air bubbles as you go
- Continue to do this section by section until you're finished covering the areas you want
- Stand back and admire you're handiwork!
PS. the paper has a washable surface so ya don't need to worry about sealing it.
What do you think? Will you be giving this a go? have you done something similar yourself? Let us know in the comment section below.