Want something quick and healthy to bring to a barbeque or summer dinner party? Good Food Ireland have kindly shared this recipe for a refreshing fruit salad, that was put together by the folk at Ballymaloe Country House and Restaurant.
Recipe: Summer Fruit Salad with Sweet Geranium Leaves
This is a delicious, light, summer dessert, quick to prepare and popular by all. Sweet Geranium and many other varieties of scented geraniums are on the windowsills of many homes. The lemon scented leaves are used in all sorts of ways, and occasionally the pretty purple flowers also, to enliven and add magic to otherwise simple dishes. The crystallised leaves are wonderful with fresh cream cheese and juicy blackberries
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 110g raspberries
- 110g loganberries
- 110g redcurrants
- 110g blackcurrants
- 110g quartered strawberries
- 110g blueberries
- For the Syrup:
- 400g Sugar
- 450ml Water
- 6-8 Sweet Geranium Leaves
- Place the berries in a glass bowl.
- Put the sugar, water and sweet geranium leaves into a stainless steel saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Boil for just 2 minutes.
- Cool for 4-5 minutes, then pour the hot syrup over the fruit and allow to macerate for several hours.
- Remove the geranium leaves.
To Serve: Serve chilled in a large glass bowl or individual martini glasses. Garnish with a sprig of geranium and serve with softly whipped cream of vanilla ice-cream.
For more great recipes visit Good Food Ireland:
Good Food Ireland is an industry organisation that brings together under one umbrella good food places all over the island of Ireland that are committed to using local food and supporting our Irish farmers, food producers and fishermen. Visit www.goodfoodireland.ie for further information on the 260 members.